Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Position Postings

Enjoying the Present, Pondering the Future, Just South of Stoney

A while ago in my company a few position postings came up that I decided to apply for. One was captain on a Cessna 401 courier job, the other was as a First Officer on a Beech 1900. Both offer different pros and cons right now to where I am sitting in my career. First off the C401 job offers very valuable PIC (Pilot In Command) time that I need eventually in my career, I'd say the sooner the better. And it isn't only the time in my log book that matters but it is the experience that I would gain and knowledge I would receive from a single pilot IFR(instrument Flight Rules) job. But this position doesn't offer a pay raise, nor that many hours a year, probably only around 300 a year.

The F/O job on the Beech 1900 offers heavy commuter experience and a nice pay raise. However I don't want to end up being a career F/O and it would possibly make me take a pay cut whenever I do decide to go captain. Luckily I shouldn't really have to make my own decision as I suppose that if I was to be offered a position...; which after a simulator evaluation ride, I wonder if I will be. As I made a few blunders during it that if it had been for real I sure wouldn't ever be making another mistake, ya know what I mean, eh. Shutting down the left engine when you have a right hand engine fire sure doesn't help a situation... Anyways, If I was to be offered a position I would take whatever they offered me as either one would be a challenge that I'd appreciate to take on. I guess we'll see what happens, and if I get none right now I wouldn't be down or worried. I'm sort of on the fine line of hours for the jobs anyways and enjoy my current position right now. I know that sooner or later there will be more positions opening.

4 Comments:

At 1:14 AM, Blogger Flyin Dutchman said...

Things are peaking now in the industry. Tards I never figured would pass an AC or Jazz interview have and well as far as I am concerned that is the upper echelon of pay and schedule so go figure. If I were you and plan on being at your company if times slow down where do you want to be flying ? I would plan on what you are doing tommorow as you will be spending the rest of your life there ;) PIC time ? What does that mean when 1900 FO's with single engine time PIC are going to the airlines ? Where do you really want to be ? Start working towards it. Don't drinks as much as me and then try to offer advice ;)

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Thanks for the advice, I think I understood most of it. Maybe not though...try again in the morning;)

I don't plan a forever career with my current company, but I would be happy to spend the first good chunk of it here, yet still makeing plans for moving on someday.

It sounds like you aren't to happy with the Beech FOs getting on the big guys, understandable. But I think it is good on anybody if they can get somewhere they wanna go, cause aviation is so dang unpredictable.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Flyin Dutchman said...

Hey there,

Just for the record I haven't been drinking...at least not yet :)

Basically the long and short of my previous incoherent gibberish is have fun at what you are doing, whilst keeping an eye out for what you might like to do in the future.

I am glad that you like the company you are at and I hope they upgrade ya soon :)

Safe flying out there and I am really trying hard to follow my "No posting on Avcanada or on blogs after 4 beers" rule :)

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger k said...

Awesome, awesome picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home