Monday, November 20, 2006

General Aviation

Maple Creek Airport with the Cypress Hills in the distance

I'm sitting in Maple Creek today for about 6 hours. It's unbelievably warm for Nov 20th, about 12 degrees. This is the first time here and I enjoy this spot, it is one of the nicer small airports I've been to, the place is old but well taken care of. The clubhouse has lots of old pictures on the wall that are fun to look at and plenty of magazines, some as old as the pictures. The general aviation seems to be doing well here, but definitely slowing down from earlier years. It amazes me and saddens me at how prosperous and busy these small airports once were, and how slowly they are fading away to the high cost of ownership, insurance and fuel. The pictures on the walls of the club house show large classes of student flyers and ramps full of planes from the 70' and 80's. Today there are five planes based at the airport and not many more club members. I hope general aviation stays alive in these smaller communities. It offers a bright contrast to aviation and freedom to many who dream of walking the clouds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home