Monday, February 04, 2008

Just Too Cold

Watching the -37ºC sunrise as I drive back home to bed.


The past week was one of getting up sometime between 0400 and 0500 every morning. Going through the usual hygienic routine, then it's a bagel, boots and outside...

And that's where things began to change, Monday morning was a blizzard, the drive to work was harrowing to say the least. Once I was there though I was lucky enough to have my plane in the hanger where I got to do a warm walk around. But soon after had to cancel my flight anyways, due to low vis and 30 to 40 mph direct crosswinds at my destination, which was a 3100' strip with patches of ice. Not really inviting.

By Tuesday morning the blizzard had died down, leaving behind frigid -35ºC temps. As I drove into work that morning (in my wifes vehicle since mine wouldn't start) I knew that I'd be canceling the flight because we don't fly any of the companies piston planes at or below -35ºC. Unfortunately I was still required to show up at work, make the decision and tell the passengers.

Wednesday warmed up to -34, unfortunately my destination was sitting at -38. Same thing therefore, canceled.

Thursday I finally got to sit in the plane. The normally soft and comfy seat felt like I was sitting back in my high school plastic chair twas so hard, thanks to a couple of days of sitting outside. The engines fired up nicely though, thanks to the Tanis heaters and tents that go synonymously with winter and I proceeded to taxi the plane to a secure spot to do my run-up. Bare of any seats in the back of my plane to do a cargo run, I worked down my after starts and taxi check list. About half way through the list, the cold weather started to show it's dislike for mechanics and as I set my heading indicator. The push-to-set button stuck in and I was left without my HI which was also coupled to the autopilot.

Lord Almighty, I said.

And walk-in to get maintenance, which tell me it'd take a while to fix. My fourth cancellation in a week. Makes ya feel a little useless.

Friday morning comes along, I'm sleeping in bed. My cell phone is quiet. I am happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home